Freshman courting excellence for girls varsity basketball

Starting freshman Kyli Meyer shares the court with her sibling at the highest level of high school basketball
For+Meyer%2C+playing+on+varsity+this+year+is+only+the+start+of+her+journey+to+reaching+her+intrinsic+goals+for+athletic+success.+
Mac Jahn
For Meyer, playing on varsity this year is only the start of her journey to reaching her intrinsic goals for athletic success.

Navigating high school can be a daunting challenge for many freshmen. It is a huge leap, and the pressures of finding the right social group or finding a passion can be an added layer of complexity. For freshman Kyli Meyer, however, the year which causes so many to face uncertainty has instead been one of opportunity. Meyer is not only a point guard this year for the Girls Varsity Basketball team, but is also the only freshman on the team. From a young age, Meyer had a sister who also played basketball, and was a built-in competitor for her to play against. Learning from their mother who played collegiate basketball at Western Washington University, basketball has always been a huge part of their lives. “I’ve been playing basketball since I can remember, and joined my first team in kindergarten,” Meyer said. For many, playing a sport with a sibling can end in a competitive ordeal. However, from a young age, Meyer has looked up to her older sister as an inspiration on and off the court. When asked about what it was like playing on the same team for the first time, Meyer had nothing but positive things to say. “I love it,” Meyer said. “We play different positions so it never gets complex. She is Captain of the team this year so she’s a great leader and I think that it’s good for me to follow in her footsteps.” During Meyer’s transition from playing friendly matches with her sister to being on the same team this year, she has been able to experience what the environment is like on varsity, as well as the bonds and friendships which come with it. “The environment is upbeat,” Meyer said. “Everyone’s friends with each other and they get along very well which improves the energy of the team. I think that translates into how we play.” One of Kyli’s teammates, Clara Haynes, describes Kyli as a bright light on the team and a valuable asset towards the teams’ bond. “Kyli works hard in practice and is very determined,” Haynes said. “She takes basketball very seriously and brings an intensity that inspires the rest of the team.” Looking forward, Meyer aspires to play Division one college basketball after high school. Some of her personal goals for the next three years are that she would like to be a leader and role model for those on and off the court. Meyer’s role on varsity has not only enhanced her skills but has also given her experiences and memories of what it is like being a part of such a special bond. For Meyer, playing on varsity this year is only the start of her journey to reaching her intrinsic goals for athletic success.