District to provide remote learning for snow days

With advancements in technology, schools are increasingly able to provide remote learning options that make traditional “snow days” a thing of the past

Penelope Neireiter

Snow days are rare for Seattle students and will become even rarer with new district policy.

Penelope Neireiter, Staff Reporter

On Sept. 1, 2022, Seattle Public Schools (SPS) announced new plans for schedule changes in the event of weather or climate that is severe, harsh or unpleasant, particularly in terms of cold, wet or windy conditions. While winter weather may or may not continue to impact the school district this year, two scenarios have been introduced.

The first scenario is a two hour late start for regular in-person learning if road conditions are likely to improve after the morning. The second scenario will be enacted in the case of a full-day closure of school buildings due to inclement weather. Students will engage in remote learning from home, ensuring that students continue to receive instruction and stay on track with their learning.

This is a new technique that has not yet had to be used by SPS but has created some mixed reactions.
Every year, it is common to get one or two snow days. Snow days offer a break from the routine of daily life and can provide an opportunity for rest, relaxation and quality time with loved ones.

When many students think about having online school during a snow day, it definitely isn’t the most favorable situation. Sophomore Jameson Allensworth agrees with this conclusion.

“In the event of having enough snow in Seattle, we should get the snow day and be able to feel like a kid again because it’s rare and doesn’t happen that often,” Allensworth said.

The shift to remote learning during the COVID-19 pandemic has forced schools to adapt to new technology and teaching methods. Many classes require a computer or device of some sort on a daily basis. Since there was a full year of online school, teachers and students have gotten somewhat comfortable with the process.

This allowed for SPS to feel confident in their decision to go further with this strategy in the case of snow.
Sophomore Mia Soderlund weighs the pros and cons of online snowdays, illustrating that just because students understand how to do online school, it doesn’t mean they want to do it again.

“Having to do online school during a snow day brings back a lot of memories of online school that I’d rather leave in the past,” Soderlund said. “However, I would much rather have more summer than snow, and although unfortunate, it is a cool way to get a longer summer.”

The bright side of this remote learning during a snow day, is that there is the opportunity to never have to add days onto the end of the year.

The downside is that snow days can provide a break from the stress and demands of daily life. Taking a day off to relax and enjoy the winter weather can be beneficial for mental health.