Class of 2027 votes on ambassadors for upcoming school year

This year’s freshmen vote for their next class representatives
Tansy Venlush
Candidate Ivy Toppenberg ran for the position of Sopho- more Class Ambassador for the 2024-25 school year.

The race is on for a new set of Sophomore Ambassadors for the 2024-2025 school year. Last Friday, April 19, the current freshmen class headed down to the PAC to listen to the candidates deliver speeches and offer up their plans for serving the class next year.

Six students took the initiative to run for ASB, and took on the daunting task of speaking in front of their supportive classmates: Annika Jahn, Allesa Illiakis, Ivy Toppenberg, Piper Carlisle, Lucy Jenkins and Freya Godwin.

Candidate Carlisle said she decided to run to push herself out of her comfort zone.

“My sister inspired me to run,” Carlisle said. “I didn’t feel very confident in middle school coming into high school, so I’m pushing myself to talk to more people and put myself out there so I feel more confident and have fun.”

Carlisle’s focus includes advocating for the sophomore class. 

“I want to stay more involved and keep everyone together,” she said. “Often the sophomore class gets forgotten about.”

Candidate Jenkins decided to run so that she could be a voice for the performing arts on ASB. 

“My sisters and I were frustrated that people didn’t seem to care about performing arts over the sports teams,” Jenkins said. “They told me to run so that there could be someone who cared about that on ASB.” 

Jenkins also expressed a desire to improve communications between ASB and students.

“A lot of stuff happens on Instagram and I know a lot of people who don’t have social media – I don’t have social media.” she said. “I want that information to be more available to everyone.”

Godwin had ideas about making school events more equitable for all.

“I really like the school dances and how everyone is included,” she said. “But I think we could work on lowering ticket prices and finding a way to make sure everyone can come and have a good time. I am part of swimming and I would love to get more spectators for that because a lot of students don’t come to any sports events except for football so I’d love to expand fan bases of other sports.”

Godwin said that supporting all sports, clubs and student interests allows for everyone to feel seen.

“I want to make more people feel included,” Godwin said. “I think it’s really important everyone finds their people at Ballard.”

All six candidates delivered compelling and heartfelt speeches, and three of the candidates will be elected by the current freshman class.