Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

A.D.A.P.T. to Awareness Week

ASB grabs the attention of students by encouraging positivity 

Maeve Gallagher, Staff Reporter
Originally published November 21, 2014

Aiden ShecklerLiam Moser snaps polaroids of students during lunch on Friday

Aiden Sheckler

Liam Moser snaps polaroids of students during lunch on Friday

This week ASB has encouraged students to participate and acknowledge “Awareness week,” a week dedicated to spreading love and kindness to other students.

During reading period on Monday, teachers showed a short video of the introduction to the upcoming awareness week. ASB president Lindsay Fasser talked briefly about what the week would be about, and how students can contribute.

“We didn’t make any of the videos last year. We are making them all this year to make it more personal,” Fasser said.

Tuesday, other ASB students were featured in a video for stress reduction day. The video included suggestions related to dealing with student stress with ideas like yoga, deep breaths and physical activity. ASB members also encouraged participation in the auxiliary gym during both lunches, where Wendy Cunningham and Tami Reese taught yoga for the duration of each lunch.

Wednesday, dedicated to getting students to stand up to bullying, included a short video of Fasser and other students giving helpful advice as to how students could help victims of bullying.

Thursday was self respect day, where students could write their favorite attribute about themselves on a sticky note and wear it proudly around school. ASB also held open mic in which students could share freely after school in the auditorium.

Friday, “Spread the Love Day,” is devoted to spreading love to other students. ASB is holding a photo booth where students can spend a dollar to send polaroids to their friends. ASB students take photos of whomever wants one, and that person can write a special message to their friends or acquaintances. Polaroids will be delivered during sixth period on Friday.

This week ASB seeks to positively inspire students to not only look out for themselves, but to look out  for each other.