The odds were in the favor of ‘The Hunger Games prequal’

After eight years the Hunger Games franchise has put out yet another thrilling tale
“Hunger games: The ballad of songbirds and snakes” (IMDB)

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbird and Snakes’’ directed by Francis Lawrence came out on November 17, and brings new depth and dimension to the beloved “Hunger Games’’ franchise. It has been eight years since the last movie came out, yet this prequel has the ability to captivate the audience better than ever. The movie dives deep into layers of the iconic antagonist, President Coriolanus Snow, played by Tom Blyth.
The film is set 64 years before the first movie, which allows viewers to witness the crucial years of a future tyrant, shedding light into the crazy mind of his complex character.
The prequel doesn’t highlight the first ever Hunger Games, but instead decides to explore the tenth ever Hunger games, because of the introduction of mentors for young tributes from the elite Capitol academy. Coriolanus Snow, an orphan from a once aristocratic family, emerges as a competitive young man, dealing with loss, societal pressures and a crumbling family structure.
The film shows a side of Snow that is not seen in any of the other movies. It shares the relationship with his grandmother (Fionnula Flanagan), and cousin Tigris (Hunter Schafer), which adds an interesting layer to the storyline, showcasing the human side of a character often dismissed as purely evil.
However, Snow was not the only star of this movie. As the story unfolds, we witness the emergence of Lucy Gray (Rachel Zegler). From the moment she steps onto the screen, Gray has a contagious charm because of her bluegrass-inspired singing. This becomes a magnetic force that captivates not only the audience but also the heart of young Snow.
Before this prequel came out there was a lot of speculation on whether it would be able to maintain the overall theme of the other movies. It is clear to say it laid those theories to rest. Just like the other movies, it is evident that happiness, wealth and freedom was nearly impossible to have in this dystopian world. The film does a wonderful job of compelling this harsh reality, by sharing the origins of a society built on greed and betrayal.
This prequel not only gives insight into the existing narrative of the Hunger Games universe but stands alone as a compelling commentary on human condition. Even if you haven’t seen the entire series, this movie is a major foreshadow for the transformation Snow undergoes and the lengths he is willing to go to secure his position of power. “The Ballad of Songbird and Snakes” is a thrilling piece of storytelling, a visual masterpiece and a testament to the relevance of the Hunger Games even after so much time has passed.