The newest addition to the mental health support staff

From Michigan to Seattle, the new social worker has spread her wings

Mackenzie Fee joins the school staff this year as a social worker.

Courtesy of Mackenzie Fee

Alina Zahn, Staff Reporter

Mental health is such a widespread issue among teenagers at BHS. Students need support, which is exactly why Mackenzie Fee, a new social worker, has been added to staff. 

Back in September of 2022, the strike that delayed the start of schools had a lot to do with the need for more mental health support in the Seattle Public Schools District.

“Traditionally at Seattle Public Schools there have never been social workers,” Fee said. “Part of the strike agreement was adding a part time social worker in Seattle Public School high schools and middle schools.’’

Fee came to be a part of the staff freshly after her graduation in December of 2022 with a masters in social work from the University of Michigan.  

‘’I was born and raised in Michigan, so I really stuck it out,’’ she said. 

Her passion for working in a school environment began in Michigan and has always been a part of who she is.

“I was always immersed in the school settings: my mom was a principal,” Fee said. 

The transition from Michigan to Seattle was one that was quite natural and sought out by Fee.  

‘’I grew up visiting Washington State a lot,” she said. “So when I applied for jobs, I really loved the idea of living here.’’  

This love also came from not just her career in mental health support but also some of her favorite hobbies.

“I am a big skier and am looking forward to combining the fun of living in a city and my excitement of skiing,’’ Fee said.

Fee has enjoyed living in Seattle the past few months and has really gotten to spread her wings by working at two different schools in the Ballard area including Whitman Middle School.

Originally, Fee was more interested in working with middle schoolers, but she has been captivated by high school more than she expected.

“To be honest I was scared to work in a high school at first but have enjoyed it so much,’’ she said.

However, adapting to a new school environment has had its challenges.

“Getting to know everybody here and the student body has been the most challenging just because it’s so big and therefore hard for me to really get my name out there that I am here for all students,’’ Fee said.

Fee truly values her position as a mental health provider to her students.

“Being able to build community and form one-on-one connections with students is my favorite part of my job,’’ she said.

Because social workers are relatively new to the district, Fee gets asked a lot about what she does.

“I am here to offer mental health support and intervention for students,” she said.

Fee is the first of what will most likely be many more mental health supports in school, and she  wants to always be able to support students.

“I want students to always know they can email and contact me about anything, I am here to offer the support I can,” Fee said.