The Running of the Beavers

The annual fundraising 5K returns in March after a two-year COVID delay

Participants+of+the+race+take+off+for+the+5K+through+Golden+Gardens.+

Emma Steinburg

Participants of the race take off for the 5K through Golden Gardens.

Piper Sorenson, Staff Reporter

After a two-year delay due to COVID-19, the Running of the Beavers is back. As the fourth annual 5k of its kind, the goal was to raise money for the Ballard High School Foundation. 

The route was scenic through Golden Gardens along the waterfront. The participants enjoyed views of the Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains, eventually ending at the fitting Beaver Pond. 

All proceeds are going towards benefitting the school’s community, such as helping enrich programs and activities. Since the creation of the foundation, it has helped raise seven million dollars for the school. 

For this year’s event, the beneficiaries will be cheer, dance, band and team sports. With the help of many sponsors and supporters, not to mention the people showing up to participate, these activities have received more funding.

“I like to help my team out,” cross-country runner Emme Rousseau said. “So we can do more invitationals, pay for snacks, pay for new jerseys, stuff like that.” 

Rousseau ended up winning in the women’s race, running the 5k in 19.02 minutes. She received a 100 dollar gift card to seafood restaurant Dukes, while also contributing to her track team. And as for the school spirit, she appreciated the contributions from other students.

“It was really fun to have the band there, that was a great experience,” Rousseau said. “It was a great race.”

And it wasn’t just the band. Cheerleaders arrived about an hour and a half early to help set up and raise school spirit. 

“People were in high spirits, which was really nice,” cheerleader and senior Mena Aliabadi said. “It was really cold though.” 

But as people began to show up, the day got warmer. There were students, teachers and even parents coming out to support the school. 

“There were a lot of parents who were doing it,” Aliabadi said. “They were very supportive and they loved that we were there.”