Love letter to local library

Ella Andersen, Website Editor
Originally published December 3, 2017

Love-letter-to-library.jpg

Dear local library,

Thank you.

You are a true hidden gem, and although teenagers lack in taking advantage of your many amazing offerings, you continue to support us.

It’s an unfair relationship, truly. You’re always there for us, with absolutely anything we need, and we respond by occasionally typing in your search bar and hardly ever stopping by.

I’m sure most teens believe you only offer books to be checked out for a short amount of time, and boy are they wrong.

First off, your convenience is unparalleled on the corner of 56th and 22nd, a short stroll from school. A short stroll that could lead to anything from an assigned reading to your favorite movie.

Netflix has screwed us all by not having some of our favorite shows. “Modern Family” is not available on the infamous streaming network, or most networks for free, but it is available for checkout at the library. Another example is the new hit HBO show “Big Little Lies,” which is only available if you spring for the $15 a month, but it is again available for checkout at the library.

Another thing that the library saves us from is when music streaming doesn’t offer some of the best albums; well guess what! They’re available for checkout!

What a nice thing! Wow, you have truly adapted to the times.

Speaking of adapting, the library offers ebooks now for download, so for those who either don’t like carrying around books, or just happen to be a tree hugger, then this is a great alternative.

Now, some people are completely satisfied with their Netflix or Spotify or what not, but that stuff requires Wi-Fi– a hot commodity. Well there you go again, making everyone’s lives easier for free! Not only do all libraries already have free Wi-Fi, but Wi-Fi hotspots are actually offered to be checked out. A small device that can be taken out for up to 21 days, and anywhere it goes, free Wi-Fi goes along with it. How nifty is that!

You’ve also recently teamed up with Seattle Public Schools to give all students some extra streaming. If someone logs into spl.org with the username 990000 then their personal student ID, with the last four digits of the ID as the password, then there’s access to free streaming for music, movies, audiobooks, ebooks and more. It really doesn’t get much better than free streaming…

Unless it does. The library offers free homework help for anyone on a drop in schedule on their website. It doesn’t even stop there, though. There is extra help offered specifically for people with disabilities, such as being deaf or blind. Thank you so much for all these great resources. All you truly care about is seeing us prosper.

And if I ever want to talk, I know I can hit you up with any questions because there is a librarian available 24/7.

I wish I could say we appreciate all you do for us, but the truth is that most people just don’t know all you do. If they did, though, I’m sure they would thank you, and I will thank you, because you are truly fantastic.