Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

Student run yearbook struggles during quarantine

Samantha Margot, Features Editor
Originally published May 5, 2020

With all the chaos surrounding COVID-19, people have begun buckling down on their priorities. Finishing their education, examining financials or keeping their mental and physical health up.

In the confusion and anxiety of quarantine compliance and the transition to online school, our normality has gotten lost in the shuffle. Under these questionable circumstances, it’s likely that the yearbook won’t be finalized until the fall of next year. 

Senior and Editor-and-Chief Jessie Anderson has worked with the Shingle adviser to appeal to the school district about allowing the editorial staff to access both the school network, where all of their files are stored, and to transfer access of the Adobe Suite software so they can continue editing and completing the book  from home.

Unfortunately, the school district has not granted the appeal and the yearbook staff is left with no way to complete the unfinished pages. Part of the problem is the school district does not own a district-wide license to the Adobe software.

“We’re at a crossroads here,” Jessie Anderson said in a phone interview. “We’re trying to do everything at home but there’s going to be unfinished pages.” 

The final product was due to their publisher Herff Jones on Apr. 6. Anderson estimates there to be 40 blank pages with the absence of spring sports and sanctioned school activities, all of which are now expected by Herff Jones in June.

Over Instagram Direct Message, Senior Photo Editor Ian Anderson shared his less than optimistic opinion about distribution. “The book will almost certainly come out next fall or later. It is quite possible that next year’s editors are going to be dealing with a lot of it and even if they don’t, they’ll be behind in planning for the [2020-21] one,” Ian Anderson said.

With the uncertainty surrounding the length of quarantine and the indecisive nature of the Seattle School Board further planning is stalled. All Shingle can do is prioritize unfinished sections and prepare for the possibility of copious blank signing pages. 

“It’s important for us to capture what’s going on right now,” Jessie Anderson said. “But obviously we have limited access to students, school, and photos. We’re doing our best from home, the final won’t be as reflective of the student body as we wish.”

With all the setbacks and anxiety left in the wake of COVID-19, the 2019-20 Shingle is certain to go into circulation, even if it’s at a later date. “Nothing’s final, everything’s changing every two seconds,” Jessie Anderson said. “No matter how it ends, the yearbook is going out”