Administration welcomes new staff member

Teaching background helps assistant principal give new insight

Zoe Bodovinitz, News Editor
Originally published October 25, 2018

Skye McDonaldHer administrative experience is a welcome addition to the school. Principal Keven Wynkoop acknowledges that there is a disconnect between teachers and administration that Roesener’s background will begin to bridge.

Skye McDonald

Her administrative experience is a welcome addition to the school. Principal Keven Wynkoop acknowledges that there is a disconnect between teachers and administration that Roesener’s background will begin to bridge.

As the school year begins, so does Laura Roesener’s position as assistant principal. Her past work experience will bring a new perspective to the administrative staff. Roesener has been on the administration side of schools before and has also spent many years as teacher.

“I was always teaching middle school and junior high and then I did a bunch of administrative stuff,” Rosener said. “Then for the last 12 years I have actually been in the classroom again, so this has been a big switch back for me.”

“A lot of time teachers feel like we administrators are too far away from the classroom and that we don’t remember what it’s like, so the fact that she was able to bring that practical connection, that very recent connection to the classroom was appealing,” Wynkoop said.

As of now, Roesener continues to learn about the advantages, systems and in and outs of running such a big school. With her experience, she is able to add ideas that might not be considered between the rest of the team.

“I think her perspective and willingness to interject new, fresh ideas is really positive for us,” Wynkoop said. “The other three of us have been here for a long time so it’s important to have a balance between the way we’ve done things and thinking outside the box. Sometimes you get trapped into the way you’ve been doing it and you need some fresh perspective.”

As much as she enjoys being a classroom teacher, Roesener is happy to be back on an administrative team.

“There are a lot of things about teaching that I really like, but I also really like working with adults and working with teachers to try and figure out what are the best things we can do for kids,” Roesener said.

Roesener’s duties as assistant principal include student cases with the last names O through Z and working closely with the science, health and the world language departments. Most of all she is excited to to be a part of such a large and welcoming school community.

“I’m really excited about all of the traditions and the legacy,” Roesener said.  “I think there are real advantages to such a big school and I think almost any student can walk through the door and eventually find their people.”