Freshmen elections bring new spirit to ASB

Elsa Anderson, Features Editor
Originally published November 30, 2017

The freshmen elections ended in victories for Anna Fina, Min Jang and Broden Crotty, who will be the president, vice president and secretary/treasurer, respectively, of the Class of 2021.

At the Nov. 15 general elections held during DAM Time, candidates had a chance to speak to their classmates about why they were running for ASB and what they wanted to bring to the school.

Min Jang (9), new freshman class vice president.

Jang spoke about his experience going to nine different schools. “Some of the schools I’ve bee

n to weren’t even in Seattle. Some of them weren’t even in the United States, so I’ve gained a lot of knowledge about what schools are like and what works well and what doesn’t. I have become influenced by all these different ideas. I think I can bring those ideas to Ballard to help make this school a better place for everyone,” Jang said in his speech.

Broden Crotty (9), new freshman class secretary/treasurer.

Fina, on the other hand, had a different way to improve the school. “I think there should be more fundraising for clubs and sports teams and music programs,” Fina said.

All three of the winners are excited to make the school better for their classmates, and each person has different ideas on how to do so. Crotty wants to make it easier for students to approach their teachers. “It can be hard to get used to this new school, especially the new workload. That’s why I want to have easy access study halls open to all students where teachers and fellow classmates are nearby to help you with any questions you may have,” Crotty said in her speech. “I have already seen this begin to be available to students in Biotech every Monday, but I want it to be more accessible.”

The elections began with a total of 13 candidates— five running for each president and vice president, with three candidates running for secretary/treasurer. The primary elections, held on Nov. 8, narrowed the candidates down to two per position.

Ninth graders had the opportunity to vote in the primary election based on the Voter’s Guide distributed by current ASB members. The Voter’s Guide was compiled based on the candidates’ responses to three given questions.