Proyecto Saber creates Day of the Dead display

Day of the Dead and salmon display made to honor roots 

Tess Harstrick, Staff Reporter
Originally published November 7, 2014

Cassin StacySalmon shrine Is located on the first floor in the history pod, to honor the gift of salmon

Cassin Stacy

Salmon shrine Is located on the first floor in the history pod, to honor the gift of salmon

Proyecto Saber created a Day of the Dead presentation in the Library on Oct. 29 to honor those who have been lost.

Proyecto teacher Suanne Kauffman, her students, and other staff worked to create the display. Slightly bigger than in past years, the teacher used leftover materials from years passed.

The display is interactive this year, as any student is able to add a name to the altar to be remembered. This has not been done in past years, but Kauffman liked the “connection” this aspect of the display added, and aims to continue this practice in the future.

The group also created a salmon display. “We wanted to honor our Northwest coastal native roots in this area, the gift that salmon has been to this area, and celebrate how salmon gives its life for its offspring and for the forest,” Kauffman said.

Together, Kauffman believes the Day of the Dead and salmon display tie in to “the cycle of life and the remembrance of people who have gone before us.”