Seniors’ accomplishments recognized at awards night

Awards vary from college specific to national recognition

Nancy MacGeorge, Staff Reporter
Originally published June 4, 2014

Senior Academic Awards Night was held in the auditorium on Wednesday, May 28 at 7p.m. This event recognized senior scholars based on invitation to celebrate their incredible academic achievements, scholarships, and awards in numerous different categories.

Among those categories included Department Scholars, Ballard High School Scholarships and Awards, National Honor Society, AP Scholar Awards, Service Awards, Community Scholarships, College and University Merit Scholarships, District/State Scholarships and Awards, Washington State Honors and Scholars Awards, National Merit Awards, and finally the Valedictorian and Salutatorian.

Notable awards from the event included the Washington State Honors Certificate, which is awarded to students who rank in the top ten percent of this year’s graduating senior class state-wide. Over 80 students were presented this award from our class of 2014.

The Washington Principals’ Scholars were also presented to students whose cumulative GPA places them in the top five percent of their schools senior class. This award was given to Rowan Callahan, Toby Dunkelberg, Madeline Ewbank, Anna Ferkingstad, Ellen Heile, Takeko Horiuchi, Emerson Jordan, Alina Kido-Matzner, Clara Manahan, Fredrik Mansfield, Henrik Mansfield, Sydney McMuldroch,Kathryn O’Brien, Marissa Roe, Lorenzo Rossi, Benjamin Thomson, and TianQing Yen.

In addition, the Above and Beyond Service Learning Award was given to ___ members of the senior class. In order to receive this honor you must do four times the graduation requirement of 60 community service hours, for a total of 240 (or more) service learning hours in 4 years.

The graduating class of 2014 received many exclusive college, university and community scholarships from various associations. 2 students are going to college on athletic scholarships- Beverly Verduin (Central Washington University, basketball) and Rowan Callahan (Cornell University, crew.)

The valedictorian (highest academic achiever in the class throughout four years based on GPA and rigor of course schedule) and the salutatorian (2nd highest academic achiever in the class based on the same requirements) were announced at the very end to conclude the night. The students receiving this high honor were Benjamin Thomson and Toby Dunkelberg, respectively.