RACE exhibit encourages students to evaluate social inequality

Language Arts classes host workshops and visit to the Pacific Science Center

Eli Goldberg, Staff Reporter
Originally published December 18, 2013

Jason MichelGuest speaker Alaric Bien, was one of three represenatives from the Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) to present to students in L.A. 11s and College in the High School Comparative Literature classes.

Jason Michel

Guest speaker Alaric Bien, was one of three represenatives from the Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) to present to students in L.A. 11s and College in the High School Comparative Literature classes.

For years, teachers have been trying to help their students understand social barriers in our society. The most common and problematic one is racism.

Sooz Stahl, language arts teacher and supervisor of the World Problem Solvers club, wants to add to her students’ comprehension of the topic beyond the standard curriculum.

On September 28, a new exhibit opened at the Pacific Science Center titled RACE: Are We So Different? Stahl organized a field trip to the exhibit for her LA11 and College in High School Comparative Literature classes, along with two group workshops regarding race with representatives from the Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI).

Before the field trip, a workshop took place in Stahl’s room with roughly 40 students in attendance. The workshop focused on the subjects of racial equity, equality, and identity. To quantify the knowledge being shared with students, the representatives from the RSJI used an interactive method of Q&A.

One side of the room was labeled “strongly agree,” and the other, “strongly disagree.” Questions regarding racism were posed to the students, who then stood closer to either opposite end of the room based on their answer. This was a practice of visualizing where students literally stand regarding their personal beliefs.

Surprisingly, the initial discomfort among the youth in the room quickly dissolved. This resulted in an enlightening and significant discussion, well preparing students for the RACE exhibit.

Stahl feels that the RACE exhibit will greatly add to her student’s understanding of racism in the modern world. She has her own strong beliefs in the importance of discussing race. “When students are given the opportunity and skills to contribute to these conversations, amazing things can happen. For one thing, attitudes about race are changing so fast, especially among young people,” Stahl said. “I’ve seen a ton of change even in the seven years I’ve worked at Ballard. Students are more open to the topic, and their ideas are more developed and nuanced.”

The exhibition was developed by the Science Museum of Minnesota in collaboration with the American Anthropological Association. Since its initial run in 2007, RACE has prompted “conversation and contemplation” in more than 25 institutions across the United States.

Occupying a relatively small space at the science center, the exhibit is dense with the deconstruction of historical, scientific and social ideas of race. Aiming to help guests understand what race is and isn’t, the exhibit focuses on three main themes: the everyday experience of race, the history of the idea of race in the United States and the science that is challenging some commonly held ideas regarding race.

The exhibit is not just limited to facts and scientific data. It also features narratives of people’s first-hand experiences with racism.

One in particular, a video titled A Girl Like Me, intimates a clear message. It exemplifies the impact that the ideas of race and discrimination have on youth in our society. In one segment, a young African American girl talks about how she knew people who would sit in a bathtub full of bleach to try and make their skin lighter.

RACE has had a lasting effect on some students. “To be completely honest, I’m already comfortable talking about race. But, the exhibit enlightened me that my own realm of denial is much bigger than I thought,” senior Henrik Mansfield said.