What to do in the winter

Don’t let the cold weather keep you indoors

Ella Andersen, Staff Reporter
Originally published January 27, 2017

Courtesy of Tera Richardson

Skiing is one of the most popular outdoor winter activities.

Bummed out by the winter weather? Go get out and enjoy it! Though the first instinct is to stay inside with a cozy blanket and a movie, how many times can you actually watch Harry Potter?

Seattle doesn’t get much snow, which can be good or bad, depending on who you ask; there’s lots of activities to embark on in the snow, though, is a fact.

A trip to the mountains can be made fairly easily where we live, too, so some suggestions of fun snow activities could be: downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowboarding, inner tubing, sledding, and snowshoeing. It’s also never too late to learn, if you don’t already know how to do some of those things.

Some possibly cheaper alternatives to those could be: snowball fight, build a snowman or a fort, ice fishing, a snowy picnic (bundle up), or camping – if you truly feel you’re up to it. You could also go into the mountains to take pictures, if you’re into that; it’s quite a beautiful place, especially when snowy.

Most of those include going into the mountains, assuming Seattle gets no snow, which is saddeningly likely, so some in town options could include ice skating, and walking your dog (or someone else’s!).

It’s past Christmas time, so now less appealing, but a trip downtown is fun during the holidays, especially when you have gift shopping to do. Wildlights at Woodland Park Zoo is now closed, but that’s a nice, inexpensive night if you’re looking for something to do around Christmas.

If you’re a Seattleite, you may have overlooked some more touristy things to do, which is understandable, but some can be quite enjoyable when done with the right people.

Riding the duck, for example, is great to do in the winter. There are probably about two people, max, on it, so why not grab some friends and go take it over?

The winter in Seattle can be cold and wet, but that can’t discourage you from escaping the indoors and venturing out into something the outside world has to offer, because there’s quite a lot to do in the winter.