‘Captain Fantastic’ is visually captivating and thought provoking

Elsa Anderson, Staff Reporter
Originally published January 24, 2017

Still from IMDB

In an increasingly technological world, do you ever just want to get away? “Captain Fantastic,” written and directed by Matt Ross (“American Psycho,” “The Aviator”) and starring Viggo Mortensen (“A History of Violence,” “The Road”) is a charming and thought-provoking film about one’s values and challenging social norms to uphold them. A mix of comedy and intensity, like in the film’s opening shot, keep viewers excited to watch the story unfold. Complex characters and stunning shots of Washington landscapes create an intriguing and visually pleasing film. One of the movie’s final scenes was filmed in Deception Pass State Park, with a beautiful view of the water.

The film features Ben Cash and his six kids as they live in the Washington forest away from much else. After the death of his wife, Cash and his children are forced out of their secluded ways and thrown into the shockingly different lives of the rest of the world. Judgement from others causes the family to question and evaluate their way of living.

Shots of evergreen trees, waterfalls and other natural features make this film stunning and memorable. Additionally, an upbeat soundtrack keeps the viewer entranced in the story, making the almost two hour film feel much shorter.

While the theme of culture shock is not unique to this film, “Captain Fantastic,” differentiates itself from other films of its kind with its character depth and development. As the children become exposed to more of the world, they start to question their parents’ ways. Although language use adds intensity to several scenes, language, along with brief nudity, does cause the movie to be rated R, making it less accessible to some audiences.

Overall, this film is compelling and beautiful with strong characters and strong acting. It is definitely worthy of watching.