Paul Seibert is p s y c h o s i s

Music producing junior finds swelling success on soundcloud under monicre p s y c h o s i s

Henno Kublin, Staff Reporter
Originally published June 24, 2016

Christine McManigal

The rise of the internet has created a platform for aspiring artists to create and display their work for the world. One such artist is junior Paul Seibert, whose staked his claim in the online music community under the name p s y c h o s i s.

Seibert uses Soundcloud as a means to reach his audience, and boasts a count of over 800 followers. His 15 tracks vary view count from roughly 500 to 2,500 views. His down-tempo, mystic, electronic concoction of a genre has made Seibert a unique figure in the world of millions of artists attempting to stand out.

In addition to his unique sound, Seibert pulls off an overall unique aesthetic that makes him a distinguished artist among millions. He uses different languages such as Japanese and Arabic to give his track titles a more unique and interesting feel. He splits his name up with spaces in between each letter in order to have his name stand out.

“When you’re scrolling through the internet and you see that name, you’re like: ‘oh, that’s kind of weird, why does it look like that?’” Seibert said.

Seibert has been making music since eighth grade. His brother started producing using FL Studio, which sparked Seibert’s interest in the process. With the help of his brother, Seibert began producing under the name Serenity. He then became simply Paul Seibert before deciding on his current name, p s y c h o s i s.

In addition to being inspired by his brother, Seibert says he’s inspired by “being around people that make music; seeing people succeed; videogames.”

Seibert has built a habitual process for his production.

“If I’m doing it from scratch, just like look for sounds on my computer for like hours until I find one I like and just try to make different patterns with it until I find one I like then the same process: just put drums on it and loop it.” The complete cycle of producing a track can range from days to over a month.

Seibert’s interesting feel and aesthetic has made his music stand out over the past 3 years, though he says he primarily just does it for fun.

Seibert sees himself involved in music when he’s older. “I want to do something with audio engineering going out of highschool.”