Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

If you weren’t at Spilled Ink art and lit night, here are pictures of everything

Elliot Bailey, A&E Editor
Originally published May 16, 2016

Senior Tristan Haije stands with a painting he submitted to Spilled Ink, Ballard’s arts and lit club. “Think about if you were in Barbados or any other Caribbean country,” Haije said of his painting.

Mercury Men’s set began with two adequate covers off the esteemed list of ‘songs only cool seventh graders know of’ (Weezer’s “Undone—The Sweater Song” and The Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind”), but rounded off their three-song set with an invigorating or…

Mercury Men’s set began with two adequate covers off the esteemed list of ‘songs only cool seventh graders know of’ (Weezer’s “Undone—The Sweater Song” and The Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind”), but rounded off their three-song set with an invigorating original. It was vaguely jazzy, fighting its way out of the talons of vague garage rock—it was enjoyable.

Huey and the Inflowentials’ cadre of horn players is a phenomenal group. (left to right), Zach Dunkleberg (12), Lucas Bielder (10) and Jarett Lund-Hopkins (12) are all veterans of the music program and write together with budding sophistication. In …

Huey and the Inflowentials’ cadre of horn players is a phenomenal group. (left to right), Zach Dunkleberg (12), Lucas Bielder (10) and Jarett Lund-Hopkins (12) are all veterans of the music program and write together with budding sophistication. In the whole set, there were never two batters at the plate at once. The way Dunkleberg, Bielder and Lund-Hopkins know to make space for each other, to back off when one of the three is stepping out in the mix was pleasant, and contributes to a sound uncommonly thick and layered for a group so young.

Senior Bryce Villatoro-Thomas is photographed by his mother during his solo set as Sir.us. Villatoro-Thomas has been rapping under the name Sir.us for a couple years now and has become one of Ballard’s artists to watch. His songs takes on social iss…

Senior Bryce Villatoro-Thomas is photographed by his mother during his solo set as Sir.us. Villatoro-Thomas has been rapping under the name Sir.us for a couple years now and has become one of Ballard’s artists to watch. His songs takes on social issues, often of race, often calling out America by name.

Sophomore Kennedy Ramos played a series of charming, folky covers. Never far from her pleasant, quivering falsetto, Ramos was consistent.

web-size-20.jpg

The Golden Years were derivative, but fun. Like their sound, which is “‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s rock-type stuff,” according to bassist Vegas Storm, The Golden Years’ subject matter is a time capsule. If not universally relatable, their relationship-centr…

The Golden Years were derivative, but fun. Like their sound, which is “‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s rock-type stuff,” according to bassist Vegas Storm, The Golden Years’ subject matter is a time capsule. If not universally relatable, their relationship-centric songs bear something recognizable for those who date, ages 16-28. At times these themes break from their crisp packaging and songs worth bobbing to become meaningful. “Love investigation” was a fun standout and the recurring “Your love is like an investigation” was youthfully dire, creating a worthwhile picture of teen relationships.

Even though it was his son’s birthday, art teacher Matt Harkleroad made it to Spilled Ink Art and Literature Night. Here, the crowd applauds after singing happy birthday to the newly three-year-old boy.