Yep, still Young Thug

‘Slime Season 3’ offers little more than ‘1’ and ‘2’

Carter Fitch, Staff Reporter
Originally published May 4, 2016

Album: Slime Season 3

Artist: Young Thug

Score: ★ ★ ★

The first of Young Thug’s “Slime Season” EPs came out in September 2015. Six months later, Thug is still dropping an addicting combination of catchy slurred lyrics over rhythmic beats.

If listeners are looking for the next “Best Friend” or “Check,” they will be disappointed as Slime Season 3 does not have that type of hit song on it; however, Young Thug has created eight new songs that are sure to be inducted into the playlists of students.

“With Them,” the mixtape’s first track, premiered in Madison Square Garden at the same time of Kanye West’s “The Life of Pablo.” The song has an okay beat which makes it good enough to listen to, but overall lacks direction unless swear words and degrading women is considered a direction.

If there is a hit on Slime Season 3, it is most likely “Digits,” which is notable for its mind-pulverizing chorus of “We ran up them digits, we ran up some money.” “Digits” has all the requisites to be a solid late-night car tune.

Two sleepers of Slime Season 3 are “Problem” and “Slime S–t.” “Slime S–t” features Yak Gotti, Duke, and Pee Wee Roscoe, whom all make solid enough contributions to the song to propel it to one of the most popular tracks.

“Problem” is the eighth and final song on the EP, and possesses the best beat of the album by far. The low sixteenth-notes in “Problem” slap through the whole song, and combined with Young Thug’s flow make “Problem” a find if listeners are patient enough to get through the rest of the album.

Slime Season 3 is a solid release mostly as it is carried by a few good songs, but there are no songs on it that come close to other Young Thug hits.

If “Hercules,” “Best Friend,” “Old English,” “Check” or any of Thug’s other hits were on Slime Season 3, they would be considered the best song without much discussion. Despite this, Slime Season 3 is sure to entertain the ears and get your blood rushing, making it yet another respectable addition to Young Thug’s catalog.