Overcoming technical difficulties

Majestic Bay aids Digital Filmmaking Program in fundraiser

Christine McManigal, Staff Reporter
Originally published February 17, 2016

Photo courtesy of Brian Cropp

The crew and cast of “A Trip to the Groovies” after the production wrapped. The policy trailer, produced by students in the Digital Filmmaking Program, will play before “Super 8” at Majestic Bay on Saturday, Feb. 20 at 9:30 a.m. Tickets are $10, and all proceeds will go towards the film program.

Earlier this school year, Ballard’s Digital Filmmaking Program faced issues in completing their new lab facilities. The facilities were projected to be completed last July however were postponed until this past December.

Due to delays, the Ballard Film Festival will only occur this spring. The festival was a celebration of student achievement but also an important biannual fundraiser for the program.

To support the Digital Filmmaking Program, Majestic Bay Theatres will be airing J.J. Abram’s film “Super 8.” The film will be showed at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 20. Tickets are $10, and all proceeds will go towards the film program.

Majestic Bay has partnered before with the program. Starting last summer, the theater began airing “A Trip to the Groovies,” a new policy trailer produced by Ballard film students. The trailer was produced the fall of 2014 and began circulation this past summer.

The trailer was a more modern, digital follow up to the theater’s previous policy trailer, “A Trip to the Movies,” a video to inform audiences of theater rules and etiquette played before feature presentations.

In response to Ballard’s new policy trailer, Majestic Bay made an immediate donation and pledged to host an annual fundraiser for the Digital Filmmaking Program at their theater.

The screening of “Super 8” is the first fundraising event and will follow “A Trip to the Groovies.”