Choir sings at State of the State address

Concert Choir selected to perform for Governor, Senate in Olympia

Henry Burreson, Staff Reporter
Originally published January 29, 2016

Henry Burreson

Director of Choirs Courtney Pelavin leads Concert Choir in their performance of the National Anthem at the State of the State Address in Olympia, Jan. 2.

Long before sunrise, over 60 Concert Choir members were on the road heading for the Washington State capitol. The Washington State Capitol building appeared through the rain while its marble structure sparked a sense of power and respect.

Students ascended the staircase to meet a coordinator, who gained the choir access to a private entrance leading to the floor of the senate.

Once inside, Director of Choirs Courtney Pelavin orchestrated the arrangement of the choir members in to balance their sound and maintain security along side the Washington State Patrol. This was crucial to ensure Governor Jay Inslee’s safety as well as that of the audience.

“It’s important for us to have a unified sound,” junior Jonny Maier said of the arrangement process.

After running a dress rehearsal, the choir assembled in the lower catacombs to eat and perfect their performance attire.

Out of all high school choirs in the state, an adviser to the Governor nominated Ballard, alongside others, as a potential performer at the State of the State address. Governor Inslee later chose Ballard to perform.

Henry BurresonGovernor Jay Inslee thanks Concert Choir and their director Courtney Pelavin for their performance of the national anthem.

Henry Burreson

Governor Jay Inslee thanks Concert Choir and their director Courtney Pelavin for their performance of the national anthem.

“We were a strong musical school and were assured to be a school with good academics,” senior Camaria Metz said. “A conclusion was made that we would be a good representation of schools in Washington.”

After performing the “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the choir gathered with the Honor Guard, prior to their entrance as the President Pro Tempore of the Senate welcomed guests.

Members in attendance included state House of Representatives members, state Senators, all nine Washington State Justices, the Secretary of State, the Speaker of the House, local government officials, Tribal members, presidents of Washington universities, Military officers and representatives from Japan and Norway.

The choir had the opportunity to personally meet with Governor Inslee, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, the Secretary of State, Justice Yu, Justice Gonzalez, Justice Wiggins of the State supreme court and Representative Reuven Carlyle.