Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

I went to a concert during COVID-19: Here’s how it went

Relaxed phase three restrictions bring new opportunities for live music

Erica Richardson, Staff Reporter
Originally published June 11, 2021

Courtesy of Erica Richardson

The band “Nite Wave” performing at the Seafood Festival 2019

Initially, I was apprehensive about going. The band playing was Nite Wave, an ‘80s pop cover band that I saw in 2019 for Seafood Festival.

I love the New Wave genre, and seeing live music is always a great experience, but was it worth it to go to a concert when a maximum of 200 people could be in a venue?

I decided to go. If not for fun, then to use it as a learning experience and comparison for future concerts as the live music scene gradually returns.

Upon entry, one usher took our temperature while we sanitized our hands, then another scanned in our tickets and directed us to our own row of seats in the theater.

As soon as I entered the aisle, my guard was up. I saw numerous adults with masks down drinking beers and generally shouting across the theater before the show began;, even though the concert was all ages, there wasn’t any beer garden or similar set up for the adults that decided to drink.

A bit of my idealism was squashed, and I was now distrustful. Even though they seated each party in every other row (with a minimum of five seats in between small parties in the same row), the distancing only produced limited safety, especially due to a lack of proper mask wearing.

The emcee arrived on the stage to give a shout-out to a group in the back that had a birthday and to remind the audience to wear their masks correctly when not actively eating or drinking.

Although confronted with partial relief, my skepticism did not subside until four songs in when “Dancing With Myself” by Generation X was played.

The band was not masked, though I am willing to make an exception because they were performing and nearly all contributed to the vocal harmonies. 

However, even after being reminded, many of the audience either chose to “forget” the precautions or were too drunk to follow them. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Bottom line: I enjoyed it immensely, I just wish the venue had been more vigilant about enforcing the COVID-19 precautions. Also, I should have brought ear plugs.