Spilled Ink Gala features student creators

The club gives students an opportunity to have their artwork published

Originally published May 23, 2019

Skye McDonald

Freshman Casey Griffin shares some of their own writing at the annual Spilled Ink Gala.

The Spilled Ink Gala featuring live music, vibrant art pieces and heartfelt poetry was held on May 4 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Ballard Public Library.

Ink Club continues to collaborate with the Ballard Public Library service learning team to provide student artists a platform to share their work with the world.

The Gala showcases student music, art and literature. It also features the “Spilled Ink Journal,” which is a collection of all the printable submissions the club received throughout the year.

The club meets every Thursday in SW105 and focus on the showcase. The event is held to celebrate and display all submissions. Despite losing many upperclassmen, senior and Ink Club president, Rianah Smith, expressed that this year the art has been outstanding compared to other others.

“It was a really big turnover, finding new people to help work on the team,” Smith said. “But I think this year has some of the best art that we have ever had.”

Smith emphasized the idea that the students can submit more than just drawings, the club accepts any form of art.

“When we say we take student art, that is literally every single kind of creative piece that you can put out there,” Smith said. “We take photography, writing, poetry, audio clips, videos, anything and everything.”

The club was founded in 1963 and has had the same goal for the past 56 years: to give young artists a platform.

“The opportunity it gives to young artists that are looking to find a way to get their name out their and to get their work out there is so special,” Smith said. “It’s such a great platform for students to be able to share all the work that they produce in a really safe, collaborative, helpful environment.”

Senior Kathryn Witeck, who has been a member of the club for four years, loves the opportunity the club gives students.

“It provides people a platform to get creative,” said Witeck. “It’s not everyday you have your work being published.”