Seattle Biscuit Company makes its mark

Food truck turned restaurant is worth the long line

Elsa Anderson and Ella Andersen
Originally Published June 16, 2018

Fans of the Seattle Biscuit Company food truck will be excited to know that it now has a permanent location on 40th and Leary. When we walked in, we saw the waitstaff all dressed in blue gingham shirts, contributing to the restaurant’s blue theme. The light fixtures were comprised of old whisks which added to the folksy feel of the place. Wood shelves, ceilings, and paneling made it feel like we were at home. Though it serves high quality food, the building itself has a very relaxed feel – complete with a variety of school chairs being one of the seating options.

Upon walking in, we were overwhelmed by the vastness of the menu. Supporters of the original truck will be blown away by all the choices. From the original biscuit sandwiches to new recipes like BBQ Gulf Shrimp, the menu is bound to have something for everyone.

We decided on the Willie Lee sandwich, Son of Slam, mac n cheese and Beecher’s cheese grits. The Willie Lee sandwich had eggs, bacon, Beecher’s cheese and berry jam. The Son of Slam had fried chicken, a thyme waffle with bourbon, maple and cane syrup. Both the mac n cheese and cheese grits were pretty straightforward compared to other iterations of the same dishes. The mac n cheese was a bit buttery, though, and was nothing special.

Although first taken aback by the addition of berry jam to an otherwise classic breakfast-style sandwich, it was a great way to cut through the grease and richness of the other elements. The bacon, egg, cheese and rich biscuit combination definitely felt heavy at times, but the freshness of a little bit of jam was pretty successful at cutting through that.

When we went to review the restaurant, it was mid 70s and the restaurant was kind of stuffy. This may have added to the feeling of richness of the food. We can see this being a great spot to have a large filling breakfast, especially when the weather is cooler. That being said, it was still a delicious meal mostly worth the cost.

Like many new stand-alone restaurants in the Ballard/Fremont area, it ran a little high price-wise. Our entire meal was close to $40 before a tip. While it was good food, prices like that don’t necessarily fit with the budget of a high schooler.

Overall, Seattle Biscuit Company provided yummy comfort food in a rustic location, though the price point may make it a less frequently visited site than other more reasonably priced options.