Theater wraps up an all-star run for ‘Damn Yankees’

Chris Barrett & Niko Newbould, A&E Editor & Staff Reporter
Originally published March 29, 2018

Julian Whitworth

The ragtag Washington Senators, portrayed by Will LaChance (11), Roscoe McDonald (11), Peter Bauer (12) and Brendan Hickey (11) are pictured left to right.

The school’s latest musical production, “Damn Yankees”, wowed audiences with its energy and charm this opening weekend. With a leading cast of dedicated students and stellar production components, Damn Yankees was a blast from start to finish.

Damn Yankees takes place in the baseball-obsessed culture of the 1950s, revolving around a defeated and aging baseball fan who leaves his life at home to pursue a double identity as a star of America’s favorite pastime. Dissatisfied with the performance of his local team, the Washington Senators, Joe Boyd makes a deal with the devil to transform into Joe Hardy, a legendary baseball player, giving the Senators a chance to finally beat the dreaded Yankees.

Several stars shine in the leading roles of Damn Yankees, comprising a colorful cast of fun and likable characters that truly prove all you need is heart. Gabe Zuniga (10) was a clear crowd favorite as the devilishly charming Mr. Applegate, who tempts Joe with the promise of success and fame in exchange for his soul. Leading male Joe Hardy is portrayed by Senior Justus Brown (12), who fills the shoes of Joe’s boyish optimism with ease. Cassidy Murphy (11) is the leading female Lola, Mr. Applegate’s partner in crime and femme fatal to Joe. Sophia Rice (12) plays Gloria Thorpe, the diligent and no-nonsense reporter desperate to uncover the truth of the mysterious Joe’s origins. Amazing supporting performances throughout tied the show together into a cohesive event.

A clear highlight for the show was the elaborate and dynamic set design, which gave the play a sense of place and atmosphere. Elements like the expressive lighting and epic use of stage effects such as smoke machines contributed to the sense of spectacle and mysticism. Clever design choices helped to balance both the 50s aesthetic while still bringing the magical realism to life. Supporting elements such as the Top of the Hill Barbershop Quartet before the show and during the intermission, as well as the orchestra’s accompanying soundtrack helped keep the play engaging and fun throughout.

It was exciting to see a classic brought to life by the theater program, and was clear that everyone involved was passionate and invested in the production. Compliments to the chef.