Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

French club explores culture and history

School club promotes interest and understanding of French life

Grace Harmon, Staff Reporter
Originally published November 2, 2014

Rachael McDonald

Rachael McDonald

Every half-day of the school year during lunch, a group of students gather to discuss French culture and life. One might think this club would simply extend upon regular French lessons, but the ultimate goal is more than that.

Annaick Sturgeon, a long-standing Ballard French teacher, has been hosting the club for several years. After a respite in its activity for many years, Sturgeon revived the group, in the hopes of providing a fun environment for anyone with a passion for French culture.

“French club provides a place to do things that you just don’t have time to do in class,” Sturgeon said. “We talk a little bit about culture in class but this was a place to actually make crêpes and to play French trivia and to watch French movies.”

The result has been a joy to many students. “I’m learning a lot more about a country that I want to go to and culture that I want to pursue in my life,” club public relations officer Rachael McDonald said. “Anyone who is hoping to go to France should join because we learn so much about the culture and country.”

Knowing French is not a requirement of learning about the country’s history and traditions. “There are some kids who show up who are not in French classes,” Sturgeon said. “It’s not so much about learning the language as it is about the culture and history of the country.”

The club doesn’t just focus on historical facts about France, but helps students explore the joys and unique aspects of French culture. “We really try to make it fun. We’re gonna do trivia next time and we’re gonna bring treats,” Sturgeon said. “We often make crepes, and in December we do yule logs for Bûche de Noël.”

Any and all are invited to join the French club for their next meeting. “It’s a place to talk about differences,” Sturgeon said. “And just to keep the interest going about the culture more than just the language itself.”