Boys lacrosse poised for a playoff run this spring

Although there is still a long road ahead, this team feels poised for a playoff run this spring, and feels that the group they currently have can take them far.
Calvin Ganyard
Henry Willy [pictured left] taking the field with his teammates in a 10-11 loss vs. Saas.

Lacrosse at Ballard is a club sport, meaning that it is not directly offered and funded via the school, but rather by those who have organized the club. Regardless, the team features many talented players, with junior Spencer Bos being one of them. “It’s always fun to represent my school,” Bos said. “I’ve played my whole time here, and it’s something that I love.”
Having to possess the physical attributes to play but also the skill to use the stick is something that makes Lacrosse so unique. But for Bos, it’s not a challenge.
“It’s all part of the fun,” Bos said. “It’s different from other sports I’ve played, but it isn’t super rare or anything like that. I got a stick, you got one, that’s kinda the game.”
WIth junior Jonathan Sugg in the net, players feel very confident while on the field. This has led to players believing in themselves more and has been reflected in their winning record.
“We’re hard to score on,” sophomore player Henry Willy said. “We got a great defense, as well as a great keeper, and I think that’s why we’re doing this well.” There are some challenges on the field for the team, as the inherent dangers of the sport often lead to many players suffering from major injuries. However, overcoming this is just as critical as anybody’s skill.
“We’ve been kinda banged up this season,” Bos said. “The boys are coming off a few injuries but after spring break most people are back to being healthy.”
For Willy, his season has featured a few setbacks, but they have not stopped him
“I’ve had a few injuries myself this season,” Willy said. “I kinda messed up my knee, so that’s why you’ve seen me with the brace, but I can play now, and it’s not a big deal. You’ve gotta thug it out sometimes, and that’s the mentality we have around here.”
The team spirit is immense. As many players shared, the team’s success can be attributed to the culture that they have amongst the players.
“Practices are challenging, and we get pushed hard every day, but all of us that are still here know that it makes us better, and that’s reflected on the field whenever we go out there and play.”
With everything coming together after Spring Break, the expectations for this team are sky-high.