Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

Seniors sweep the juniors in the annual Buff Puff game

Competition and fun rolled into one for the upperclassmen

Adria Cooper Staff Reporter
Originally published October 25th, 2019

Seniors win Buff Puff fror the second year in a row. Senior Jack Berard defends an attempted spike by junior Gavin Nichols. (Skye McDonald)

The junior-senior rivalry lives on with the two classes having participated in the annual volleyball game known as Buff Puff. The two sides went head to head on Wednesday, Oct. 2 with the seniors securing the win.

This is not the first Buff Puff victory for the class of 2020. Jack Berard, senior and two time Buff Puff participant, said they dominated both years.

Senior presence also outweighed that of the juniors. Claire Burreson, a coach for the senior team was impressed with the crowd. “There was a sea of black and a sea of red, but the seniors definitely won,” Burreson said.

Even Gavin Nichols, a junior player, acknowledges this defeat. “The junior crowd was a lot smaller and quieter, but they were still supportive,” Nichols said.

A point of controversy in this game was that all the line judges were seniors. Some thought this influenced the calls that were made.

“When the refs made biased calls, that was a hardship,” Nichols said.

Soodjai Kutrakun, a staff member and friendly face in the halls, says next year there will be some changes for who gets to be line judges.

“Not just seniors because I want it to be fair for both sides. Next year we are going to have it be neutral,” said Kutrakun.

Even though the game raises tensions, both classes agree that it is a tradition that should be kept at school.

“You get to have that fun rivalry between the upperclassmen and it also excites the younger classes,” Nichols said, while Berard said “I think it’s just fun.”

Many of the contestants play other sports as well. Nate Leibold, an athlete on the junior team, plays baseball and basketball. He said “having an athletic background” helped him be prepared for the game. Berard agrees saying his experience on the lacrosse and football teams translated over to help with communication.

Buff Puff may be over for the year but the rivalry isn’t done. EJ Knoll was one of the seniors in the crowd. “Go seniors,” Knoll said to end his interview, showing the different classes will still clash. This is confirmed by the juniors as well. “Next year, we’re winning,” Nichols said.