Techlessly speaking
Techlessly speaking

Annual Running with the Beavers unites the community

Paige Anderson, Staff Reporter
Originally published April 29, 2019

Barbara Bodovinitz

Barbara Bodovinitz

The third annual Running of the Beavers took place last weekend on March 30. The course is a 5K fun run/walk that starts and ends at Golden Gardens.

The flat course, clam chowder and beneficial of the school athletics, cheer, dance and band are all reasons why students, staff and residents of Seattle attend the event.

Mary and David Senan, parents of freshman Wilson Senan, attended the run for the first time this year.

“I like seeing all the teams,” David Senan said. “I also like seeing all the people who were cheering as we were running during the course.”

The run is a fundraiser to support school athletics, cheer, dance and band so many students attend the event to represent their activities.

“Our son is a freshman so this was our first chance to embrace the Ballard community,” Mary Senan added.

Anyone can participate in the event but people don’t have to run in order to help the school. Sophomore and lacrosse player Connor Fatland attended the run to support and represent his team.

“I would definitely come and support again,” Fatland said. “It’s a fun time.”

Ballard resident CJ Washington ran the 5K for the first time this year and overall enjoyed the experience.

“You can really tell there’s a really good community aspect to this,” Washington said. “It was very light hearted.”

Staff members also attended the event including Spanish teacher Nikki Rodriguez.

“It was a gorgeous morning for the run,” Rodriguez said. “I was happy to see some of my students and the staff.”

Cheer also attended the event making this their third time supporting the Running with the Beavers.

Cheerleader and sophomore Zoe Seeman has been at the fun run for two years with the cheer squad.

“We come out and support everyone here who decides to run,” Seeman said. “It’s a really great way to help and encourage all of the Beavers.”

Sophomore Ava Arpe also supported the runners this year alongside cheer.

“It’s really fun to support everyone and see the drive and the motive that everyone has this early on a Saturday morning,” Arpe said. “It’s always great to be a Beaver.”