Dance Team welcomes first male ever

Josh Villarino enters dance team with a bang at the annual Homecoming assembly

Kate Inge, Staff Reporter
Originally published November 20, 2017

Josh Villarino (10) dances with dance team at this year's Homecoming assembly. (Julian Whitworth)

Josh Villarino (10) dances with dance team at this year’s Homecoming assembly. (Julian Whitworth)

His stomach bubbles with anticipation as the music bursts through the black standing speakers. Eyes glued to his petite frame gliding across the dance floor. He looks up, escaping the groove and sees dollar bills scattered across the floor and his family grinning with pride. “This might take me somewhere,” he thought.

Sophomore Josh Villarino comes from a family of dancers, and his passion was brought to life when he spontaneously preformed Billie Jean by Michael Jackson at his cousins wedding.

The first time Villarino became inspired by the world of dance was when he watched the afternoon news coverage on Michael Jackson’s death. “They were playing his concerts and I got so involved and it clicked with the way he connects with the music and the way he dances,” Villarino said, “Ever since, I’ve started looking up YouTube videos of him and then started copying him from there.”

Now in high school, Villarino is also active in varsity football playing quarterback, wide receiver, kicker, punter, long snapper and free safety. After not dancing since middle school, he is happy to connect with his roots after getting a spot on dance team.

October’s Homecoming assembly was the first time Villarino performed in front of people since he was in 7th grade. “I was worried about messing up because some of the stunts we had and the amount of time that we had to do it was kinda sketchy, but it turned out great,” Villarino said.

Villarino knew he would get a reaction out of his peers, but breaking the norm is something he is happy to lead. “[My] coaches are like yeah, that’s kinda weird that you’re playing football which is a difficult sport and now you’re doing dance which is all girly movements.” said Villarino, “And I’m like dance isn’t all girly movements, I mean girls don’t only do it, like girls play football and guys can dance. All genders can do it no matter what it is.”

Dance team Captain Ali Brousal is excited to welcome dance team’s first guy, enjoying the change in team dynamic. “Having like the first boy is different because it’s something that the routines can focus on. It’s more like an emphasized position that he takes on, and he really likes to throw tricks which is nice,” Brousal said.

Villarino and his family are excited by the new opportunities he will be getting from the team. Later in the season Villarino’s sister will help choreograph a few dances.

“Its really fun,” Villarino said, “I hope more girls and guys can learn how to dance in general, not just to be on the team. I think that everyone should try and branch out and try new things.”