Carrie Burr wins Metro Athletic Director of the year

Sam Heikell, Sports Editor
Originally published November 23, 2016

Carrie Burr

Carrie Burr

Ballard’s Athletic Director Carrie Burr was selected as the 2016-2017 Metro League athletic director of the year last Tuesday, Nov. 8.

This award was selected by her peers from across the league. Burr’s name was forwarded yesterday to the Sea-King District 2 Board for District 2 athletic director of the year consideration. If selected, she would be one of nine finalists for the Athletic Director of the Year Award in the state of Washington.

“In my six years here in Seattle, Carrie has exemplified true leadership and care for students and community,” Metro League President Eric McCurdy wrote in an email.

“I also want to daylight her willingness to always follow district and WIAA rules. She started our league student-athlete advisor group[SMAC] and lead a work session last year at our state athletic directors conference[WSSAAA].”

Besides from the Student Metro Advisory Committee [SMAC], Burr created a Metro Athletics handbook and the Beaver Nation Athletic Awards Night in her six years here as athletic director.

Burr is transferring from her role as athletic director to assistant principal at the end of the school year, and this award should serve to emphasize the work that she has accomplished as athletic director over the last six years.