Cross country makes history at state

Girls take third while boys follow at sixth

Carter Fitch, Staff Reporter
Originally published November 30, 2015

Makenzie BlaneyJunior Johnny Mayer runs in the Curtis Cross Country Invitational race

Makenzie Blaney

Junior Johnny Mayer runs in the Curtis Cross Country Invitational race

The boys and girls cross country teams made history in Pasco, Washington, at the 3A state cross country tournament, Saturday, Nov. 7.

The girls came into the meet ranked first in state 3A, and the boys came in ranked eighth. Both teams had come off top three finishes the week before at the SeaKing 3A districts meet, in a very rainy and muddy course that senior varsity runner Owen Buck described as “easily some of the worst weather I’ve ever raced in.”

“When it rains that hard you’re not going to be running for your best time,” sophomore runner Veronica Redpath said. “The only thing you’re really running for is to cross the finish line by any means necessary.”

The boys took 3rd in the districts meet behind a Juanita team that they would place ahead of in the state tournament.

The teams had the weather on their side in Pasco, as the girls tooks third and the boys placed sixth at state. Sophomore Chad Cohen, juniors Sebastian Skepetaris, John Maier, James Konugres and seniors Owen Buck, Nicole Godbout, and Jamie Smith all set personal records for the 5k race. Both teams had the best finishes in school history.

Despite getting third in state, the finish was somewhat disappointing for the girls who were ranked first in state for most of the year. “Immediately there was some disappointment, but at our banquet it was all positive and we were really excited,” said Smith, who placed 13th. “We were happy with how it all wrapped up.”

The future is bright for the girls team as they keep four of their top seven runners. “One of the big differences this year was the freshmen,” Smith said. “Not just the freshmen on the varsity team but all the freshmen from all the races. They brought a lot of energy to the team and it has just been a very fun year.”

A historic cross country season is now over for some, but not for everybody. Seniors Buck and Smith, along with junior Konugres, will participate in the Nike Border Clash, a race that pits the top 40 runners from Washington against the top 40 runners from Oregon State. The race will take place at Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon, Nov. 22.