New Action Movie ‘Extraction,’ Brings endless combat to Quarantined Viewers at Home

Created by Netflix, ‘Extraction’ provides an enjoyable experience with a star studded crew and cast. 

Will Shepard, Staff Reporter

Originally Published May 23, 2020

Netflix’s new movie, “Extraction,” possesses the cast, the directors, the writers and the crew to create a powerhouse. However, the action-packed killing machine fails to succeed in any areas other than the violence and the brutality that the trailer promises.

Starring Chris Hemsworth, along with secondary appearances from David Harbour and Golshifteh Farahani, “Extraction” boasts big names in the film. 

In addition, it was written and produced by the Russo brothers, and directed by their former stunt coordinator Sam Hargrave, making it their first movie since the biggest cinematic event of all time, “Avengers: Endgame.”

The story follows ex-military drunk Tyler Rake, a mercenary living in India, as he attempts to return Ovi Mahajan, a crime boss’s son, back to safety after he is abducted by a rival drug lord. 

The story is complicated by Saju Rav, played by Randeep Hooda, Ovi Mahajan’s guardian, who attempts to bring Ovi home as well.

All of the classic action movie tropes are present in this film, and as a result the film is incredibly predictable. Every betrayal and plot twist can be seen from a mile off, and because of this are incredibly unshocking when they occur.

The emotional trauma of Tyler Rake does not translate to the viewership at home, and the bond between Tyler and Ovi can at times be forced. The overall emotions that the film is trying to make you feel and the story behind the violence get drowned out, and are unable to show themselves on the surface. But I think that’s part of the reason the film works so well. It is two hours of pure action and you don’t have to play any attention to the plot. The plot and the emotional scenes are easily skippable, and they are made up for incredible action sequences that remind you of John Wick.

This film is perfect for Netflix, it is perfect for watching at home, on your couch, with your phone in one hand and a bowl of popcorn in the other. The action scenes are engaging, well shot, stunted and acted and are really what the film should be about. 

With a total kill count of 183, and a 12 minute single shot scene filled to the brim with action, this movie is a whole lot of fun and entertaining when there is fighting on the screen. 

If you enjoy action, violence and just pure fun, I cannot recommend extraction enough as it will provide a fun two hours and excitement, and a break from your regular quarantine programming.

chris1.jpg