Music: what to stream now

Need to escape? Just curious what’s been good lately? Check out our recommendations.

Jackson Croy, Managing Editor
Originally published February 15, 2017

Sampha – Process

British soul-electronica artist Sampha deals with the death of his mother in a beautifully articulated way. Prior to this project, Sampha was heard on little more than his features on Drake and Frank Ocean tracks. His debut is intricate, and his voice remains angelic.

Gabriel Garzón-Montano – Jardín

While we wait patiently for D’Angelo’s sequel to Black Messiah, this bouncy neo soul project will keep our tastes satisfied. Montano is comparable to Justin Timberlake if he was more into art than success.

The Visitor – Khadja Bonet

This album sounds straight out of a Bond movie. Haunting vocals accompanied by psychedelic soul instrumentals make this album as good for 2am as 2pm.

Migos – Culture

“It’s actually pretty good!” Isn’t quite enough to do this record justice. Migos, known for such hits as “Versace” (the hook: “versace, versace, versace, versace,”) bring a project that bangs as individual tracks as much as it flows as an album. Migos deserve as much credit as they’re getting for this record. If you’re a fan of anything Atlanta, this is for you.

CLASSIC: Outkast – Aquemini

Really, you should always be listening to this album. As relevant now as it’s release nearly 20 years ago, it contains equal parts Car-And-Homies hits and intellectual high-brow raps. Don’t neglect Outkast.